Vietnam’s low-cost airline Vietjet Air is all set to commence a direct flight from Vietnam’s capital, Ho Chi Minh city, to New Delhi four days a week. The move will strengthen India-Vietnam ties, as there has never been any direct flight connecting the two countries. However, the news will grab eyeballs, for the airline popularly known as the “bikini airline” had run into controversies several times and its journey in India won’t be devoid of them.
Some interesting facts about the carrier
- The tagline is “enjoy flying”
- It is Vietnam’s first private airline, which started its operations in 2011.
- The airline heavily banks on sexist marketing strategies.
- Indonesia didn’t allow bikini-clad air hostesses
- The airline is run by a woman entrepreneur; Vietjet was founded by Nguyen Thi Phuong Thao, who became the country’s first woman billionaire. She is also Vietnam’s second richest person.
- The airline takes its negative publicity positively, and believes that everyone has the right to wear what they like.