Though the probability of such an event occurring is practically zero but the result would be catastrophic. Every person on Earth would die. It’d be a perfect set-up for a doomsday movie. If the Earth stopped spinning suddenly, the atmosphere would still be in motion with the Earth’s original 1100 mile per hour rotation speed at the equator.
All of the land masses would be wiped off anything not attached to bedrock. This means rocks, topsoil, trees, buildings, your pet dog, and so on, would be swept away into the atmosphere. We’re actually rotating along with the Earth. Of course, we don’t feel that movement, because everything around us is also moving with the same velocity.
- If the Earth stopped rotating suddenly, and you were not attached to the ground, you’d fall and roll over for almost half a mile (0.8 km) in one second if there was nothing in your path.
- There would be gigantic tsunamis and insurmountable winds. People would be blown off the ground in some circumstances.
- If you were in a (small, rigid) room on the equator, and the Earth stopped rotating, you would smash into the wall with a terminal velocity that is equal to five times the terminal velocity of a person falling (head down) from the top of World Trade Centre.
- You’d turn into a pile of mush and die without even knowing what had happened. What happens later is every survival movie ever. Every object, along with earth is moving at about 1000 miles per hr or about 1600 kmph at equator. As higher the latitude, lesser the velocity.
- If earth stops in 1 s, objects near the equator, if they need to remain in contact with the earth, will experience an acceleration of about 50 times that due to gravity, eastwards. This makes earth crust, stones, sand, water to be thrown with velocities as large with which one falls when dropped from a height of 10 km.
- Extreme collisions among all bodies, living and non-living will kill most multicellular animals, including man. Inertia.
- Due to friction, our pieces will stop. Almost all tall buildings will collapse.
If someone is standing with a support of strong steel frame, dug deep in earth, even he ( or she) dies due to 50 g compressive force. One feels like he is pressed with a force equal to 50 times his own weight. Enough to convert your body into sauce. Even a steel frame finally collapses due to horrible movements in earth’s crust.