In order to avoid misuse of the Tatkal scheme, a refund is not granted at the time of cancellation of confirmed tickets except for some exceptional situations. Only in cases where either the train is delayed by more than three hours or if the train is running on a changed route, the fare of the ticket is refunded and Tatkal charges on confirmed tickets booked under the Tatkal scheme is granted.
Tatkal tickets can be booked online as well using the IRCTC website or at the 10,300 counters of 3,465 computerised Passenger Reservation Centers in India.
Booking for Tatkal tickets of AC classes starts at 10:00 am and it starts at 11:00 am for non-AC classes, a day in advance of the actual date of journey. But bulk tickets are booked in just a few minutes of the opening of the Tatkal quota.
Here are the updated steps stated by Indian Railways to avoid the misuse of the online Tatkal booking system:
1) Opening of the Tatkal scheme starts from 10:00-12:00 hours and as per the government guidelines only two Tatkal tickets can be booked for single user ID.
2) Apart from the return journey, only one Tatkal ticket is allowed for one single session
3) Just two Tatkal tickets per IP Address between 10:00-12:00 hours are allowed
4) Authorised agents cannot make bookings for Tatkal tickets in the first half an hour of the opening of reservation so that they do not take away tickets at the time of opening of the booking of Tatkal system.
5) Agents are not allowed to book tickets between 8:00 am to 08:30 am, 10:00 am to 10:30 am and 11:00 am to 11:30 am. This is done in order to avoid them from taking away the major share of tickets at the time of opening of Tatkal and advance reservation period bookings.
6) To keep a check on fraudulent booking through automation software, captcha has been applied to the registration, login and booking pages.
7) For the people making internet banking payment, an OTP (one-time password) process has been made compulsory
8) There is an application of minimum time limit before proceeding for payment gateway as well as after making payment while booking tickets through internet.